- Developing a water trail from the mouth of the Hudson to the Great Lakes and the St Lawrence Seaway, providing a variety of overnight facilities every 10-12 miles. The trail is designed for limited-range boats. Paddlers currently have the use of a number of such facilities, some of which are available only to rivergoers.
- Identifying, advocating for, and negotiating points of access to the river.
- Maintaining the trail though local “river stewards” and other volunteers. The HRWA is always seeking additional volunteers to adopt specific sites.
- Promoting an ethic of conservation and responsible, non-polluting use of the Hudson River and adjacent waters.
- Promoting knowledge, access and recreational use of the Hudson River by car-top boaters.
- Publishing the Hudson River Water trail Guide
- Enjoying and promoting the river’s natural beauty, and its flora and fauna.